Sunday, August 21, 2005

Oops, we're broke again...

For anyone who thinks that discussing money matters is impolite, ya might wanna skip the old blog for a day.

I spent myself into a corner again. We knew the house that we picked out was going to need a little bit of updating and repair. I guess we had no idea how much this little rehab project was going to cost. I figured it would be a few thousand at most. So far, we bought the lights for the exterior of the house and we are almost half way through the first thousand bones.

Here are a few (there are actually many other minor ones that don't bear mentioning) projects that we are going to undertake:

1. Repaint several interior rooms and ceilings. (fairly cheap, maybe $200)
2. Replace all the light fixures in the kitchen (not half as cheap as I thought, probably $300 or more)
3. Replace the siding (holy crap is this stuff expensive, it looks like many thousands can go here... this alone goes over my previously imagined version of a budget)
4. Add soil to bring up the grade level on the outside of the house (dirt cheap, har har har, maybe $50 to $100)
5. Rewire the basement fixtures and install GCFI outlets in all of the requisite spots (about $100)
6. Lay ceramic tile the entryway from the garage and tile two bathroom floors (maybe $400 to $500, if I can borrow or rent a wetsaw)
7. Replace the old wood garage doors with insulated steel doors (more thousands here, I was thinking one, but it now looks like it is closer to two thou)

Holy crap.

It appears to me that many of these projects will be pushed back until we have managed to save up enough money to complete them. As much as starvation sounds like a party to me, Karen and James think that it might be a bad idea.

On a much lighter note, Karen and James and I went down to the pool today to play and James really dug the waterfall. He spent close to twenty minutes smacking the falling water and giggling. Good times!

2 comments:

Mrs. Sara said...

I'm sorry, Fish. Well, if only you go on your starvation diet, at least you'll be a third of the way there!

I know how it is. I've done that before, but mostly with medical bills. I'm all like, "I can handle paying off this medical bill this month!" And then, lo and behold, I'm scraping the bottom of the change jar for gas money at the end of the week. DOH!

fish said...

To make matters a little worse, everyone form work wants to come over to my place and have a housewarming party. I will be a little embarassed if they all come to my place when it looks like poo, since I can't afford to fix it all up right away. Oh well, it's probably better to have friends over and throw a party than to have a pretty house.