Thursday, April 05, 2007

Long run day...

Being a sloth for the first thirty years of my life definitely shaped the way that I am today. For instance, I have been running for several years in an attempt not to return to the sloth that I was, and I have enjoyed moderate success. It would probably be a foregone conclusion that someone who runs a lot would at least be mildly athletic, but I never thought of myself that way. Not at all, in fact. I still think of myself as the fat kid. I just can't seem to let it go. I guess it is fairly understandable that during the only time in my life when people were constantly brutally honest, as little kids are, I was constantly ridiculed for being on or over the edge of morbid obesity. After three years, my self-image finally changed just a little for me this past weekend. I decided that I was going to run a race with some friends, the 43.5 mile Brew to Brew relay from Kansas City, MO to Lawrence, KS. Not only did I decide to run in the relay race, I decided to run the first half of it with one of my friends. Yep, you read that correctly, we ran a little over 22 miles last Sunday, April 1st, 2007. We didn't run fast, but we finished upright, and were able to leave under our own power. Oddly, I really didn't even get sore afterward. It was a personal victory for me that let me feel like I was at least a little bit athletic for the first time in my life.

Why is this important? It wasn't a life-altering moment, but it was definitely a good feeling for me. I don't think I am competitive, but I am constantly trying to figure out exactly where I "fit in" in realtion to other runners, and I think I figured it out. I am not fast and I know that I never will be, but I can endure. I really like that. I was glad that I had the courage to try to run the race, and I am ecstatic that I was able to complete it. Yes, I walked a few times, and I was tired at the end, and I am fine with that. I may not be an Olympian, but I can run. I like that.

While I am being a bit introspective and thoughtful, I shall share a bit of my other random thoughts of people who have a profound effect on my life. This is not the full list by any stretch, merely the two that pop to mind right now.

Thank you, Grampy, for making paper airplanes with me. You taught me that it only takes a piece of paper to learn how to fly, without ever saying a word. I hope I can teach that to my son.

Thank you, Karen, for helping me pursue my hobbies. You really support me, and I really appreciate it. I can't begin to tell you how great it makes me feel to see you and James at the finish line.

p.s.- sorry I wasn't very witty tonight. I actually had a lot of funny thoughts, but I left them out on purpose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John - great perspective. Although I wasn't a fat kid in school (that came in middle-age), I was definitely not one of the first people picked for any sport requiring any degree of skill. So, I take a certain atisfaction that I am now out there participating in athletic endeavors while many of my more talented schoolmates have become couch potatoes.
Running is the great leveller. There are not many events where you can complete in the same event, at the same time, as a world class Olympic athlete.