Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Race day wrap-up

I finished the race that I signed up for, sort of. I wanted to do a triathlon. I trained for the swim leg. It was the only part of the race that I was trained for. I knew I could do the rest of the race without any real issues, since it was going to be fairly short and sweet. The race I signed up for was not that race they were going to allow us to do. They decided that all of the rain had stirred up the pond and washed all of the duck feces into the water, causing any unhealthy amount of bacteria to be in the water on race day. The alternate plan was to have everyone do a duathlon, instead of a triathlon. That meant 4.8 miles of running instead of 2.4, and 13.5 miles on the bike instead of 9 miles. I was not ready for that because I was not trained for any of it. I was actually sick to my stomach before the race wondering if my day was going to end up in agony and not be able to finish the race. As it turned out, I was able to finish the race and I finished upright with a smile on my face. I wasn't fast, I never have been, but I finished.

I should have stopped there...

Karen wanted to go for a run later in the day, and since my knee still felt great, I decided to go with her, and push James in the jogging stroller. The legs were willing, but the knee was weak. After another four miles, my knee was a little bit angry again. It's not too bad, but it is still a little sore two days later. I thought I was cured, so I decided to push my luck. I now know that I still have some limitations on my distances until I get everything completely healed up. It's getting better, but I am not ready for a marathon quite yet.  :>) Maybe next weekend...

1 comment:

Karen a.k.a. lady fish said...

In my defense, I told him to protect his knee by not joining me on the run. I was worried about him overdoing it!